It’s time for Crock Pot Wednesday and the announcement of my “thanks to you” giveaway. I’ve loved being your host for this special event. Please join me below for this week’s Crock Pot Wednesday.
The Popular Vote winner for this event is: The Packet Queen for her Chicken and Dumplins (drawn by the Crock Pot King himself, otherwise known as Hubby)
The Random winner (chosen by a random.org) is: Kara at Home With a Purpose.
I need both of these ladies to email me with mailing addresses so I can get their prizes to them. I hope you enjoy this new book from Stephanie. I’m enjoying reading through mine for new ideas for the slow cooker.
Thanks to all participants.
Both will receive a copy of:
Soy Ginger Chicken in the Crock Pot
I came across this Soy-Ginger Chicken recipe while on Martha Stewart’s web page. It looked interesting, and I love the blend of flavors. Based upon readers’ comments about lack of liquid, I added 1 cup of chicken stock and cooked it the full 6 hours. I think it would have been fine after five, however. I used drumsticks and thighs as suggested because I had those on hand. If using skinless, boneless breasts, I would probably decrease the cooking time. I think the dark meat definitely increases the flavor here. All that is to say, we really enjoyed the dish. If you try it, please let me know what you think. (Photo courtesy of marthastewart.com)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 piece fresh ginger (about 2 inches long), peeled and cut into thin strips
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (1 cup packed)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cooked white rice
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 1/2 cup scallions, vinegar, coriander, and pepper. Add chicken and carrots; toss to coat. Cover, and cook on LOW until chicken is tender, about 6 hours. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard any fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Ladle 1 cup cooking liquid into measuring cup; whisk to combine. Pour into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. With slow cooker turned off, stir in cornstarch mixture. Serve chicken with white rice, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and remaining 1/2 cup scallions.
From Everyday Food, December 2006
Many thanks to Mama Dweeb for the really nice Blog or Treat gift she sent my way.